Mother of the Year


So although I’ve only been a mom for just over five months now, I’m expecting my mom of the year award any day now.

It all started last week... Sam and I moved in with my Mom and Dad for a few days when the thermostat reached almost 40̊ inside and my underwear started feeling like saran wrap.
We left Mr. Snips and Seven to fend for themselves while we retreated to the air conditioned comfort of my parents place.
Sam had been especially cranky from the combination of sticky, nasty heat and the joy that comes with teething. But within a few hours at my parents place he was feeling great!
I thought “perfect time to try him on some rice cereal.” So I mixed up a tiny little bit and gave it a shot... He did fantastic!
I was surprised at how well he did with a spoon, I was even more surprised when he held the spoon on his own and put it in his mouth.
“Remember at this point he was only five months old.”
I quickly turned to grab my camera to document this momentous display of wonderment when he jammed the spoon down his throat and immediately started choking.
Can we say Panic?!  
So after what seemed like an eternity of Sam coughing and gagging, “but in reality was probably only a couple seconds,” he stopped. Perfectly fine...and ready for more cereal.
Needless to say, I didn’t get the shot, but here’s one of him enjoying the cereal.

Then today I left Sam in his crib so I could tackle Mt. Laundry, and perhaps scratch some other things off my to do list. He was happy as a clam and naked as a jaybird...with the exception of his diaper. I learned the hard way to never leave him naked on his own. While I expect him to pee while naked, he seems to think it’s a great time to drop a load. He’ll go for two days without pooping then as soon as his diaper is off and I turn my back...blam!, poo everywhere!
But I digress, He’d been in his crib for about ten minutes since the last time I poked my head in to check on him. I was in the kitchen baking chocolate chip cookies, when I noticed how quiet things had got in his room. When I went in to check on him I found this...

I use a change pad mattress in his crib to keep him from rolling over in his sleep and suffocating...(can we say paranoid). He’d managed to shuffle his way up to the top of the pad and had his head tilted off the pad and precariously close to the suffocating stuffed animals of doom at the top of his crib. (Note to self “remove all stuffed things and blankets from crib...stat.”) He’d also managed to get one side of his diaper undone, and we know what happens when his diaper comes off!

Then, just to prove my point, while writing this post I had him in front of me on the floor playing on his jungle gym mat, he decides it’s time to really show me how well he can roll over. So from his back he rolls onto his stomach and then he just kept on going...and quickly I might add. Right off the mat onto his back again and onto the uncarpeted floor, with a thump and a few tears.

My mother of the year trophy is in the mail right?

Comments

  1. I'm sending you one!!! I think you're an amazing mom, Sam is one hell of a lucky kid. See he's lucky he doesn't have me as mom, I use loads of swears!!! Love ya little Sis,
    T

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!
And will usually respond by email, unless you're a no reply blogger. Then pop back here for a response!

Popular Posts