Week 14 | Long Time Gone Sew-along | 60° Triangles

How on earth did we get to the second last block already?!! It feels like we just started the Long Time Gone Sew-along! You guys are doing sooo great! I absolutely love seeing all the different ways these blocks come together!


We are tackling the troublesome 60° triangles this week, are you ready?! Then let's get started!


General Information
 
Measurements for the pieces needed to construct this block will not be provided in this tutorial. It is a pre-requiste of making this block that you have a copy of the pattern, Long Time Gone by Jen Kingwell. Measurements, where applicable, can be found in this book and it’s associated media.
If you’re using the Marti Michell Perfect Patchwork Templates you can find the conversion chart by clicking here.
Pressing
I have no hard and fast rule for pressing. I generally press my seams in the direction they want to go. For the 60° triangles I found it worked best to press all the seams open.  But find a way that works for you and be consistent with it through out your block. Here's a photo of the back of  my block so you can see how I've pressed my seams.

Block Construction
First up, gathering and cutting your fabrics, cutting instructions for this block can be found on page 23 of your instruction book.




You'll need a copy of templates A and B found on page 39 of your instruction book. I like to trace my templates onto template plastic and cut them out. The template plastic allows me to more easily line up my cuts for fussy cutting. I also like to use a silver roller pen for tracing onto my fabric. I find the silver shows up on dark fabrics as well as light ones. This is only being used for tracing out the shape to be cut, the silver pen will be your cut line so there's no worry about it showing up on the quilt block.


Here's how I use my plastic template.




After drawing around all the pieces I need I actually cut them out with my scissors. I find it quicker than using my rotary cutter. If you are using your rotary cutter make sure to place a ruler over your template. This will save it from accidental cuts!

Max couldn't resist arranging the four prints I needed, I may need to revisit this idea at a later date!


Now that you have all your pieces cut out it's time to begin!







Make thirty triangles in total.


 Make twelve diamonds.



And then sew your two rows together!




For your second block sew your remaining six triangles together into a row.


And that's it! Next week will bring the dreaded Pineapple blocks. Some of you have already started them and I've seen quite a few that have even finished them! I guess that's my cue to get started on mine!! Yikes!


Don't forget to pop over to Angie's by clicking here, to see her 60° triangles made with her ultimate collection of Alison Glass fabrics! She'll also have some handy tips and tricks to help you out!

 Marti Michell is also offering a conversion chart and tutorial on how to make this block using her templates. See Marti’s tutorial and get the conversion chart by clicking here.

Prize Winning Details

Of course the ultimate prize is making this amazing quilt, but if you'd like to also throw your hat in the ring to win some amazing prizes from our amazing sponsors then here's the information you need to know. You can find out more about our sponsors and the prizes on offer by clicking here.
We've made it as simple as possible for you to win. To be eligible for all prizes on offer all you have to do is:

  • Post a photo of one of this weeks block to your Instagram account between 12:01am June 14th and 11:59pm June 20th 2017 in your timezone
  • Tag your photo with the hashtags #LongTimeGoneSAL #AlisonGlass #AndoverFabrics #SewWithTheBest #AnnaMariaHorner #FreeSpiritFabrics #JenKingwell #LongTimeGoneQuilt #AmitieTexiles #MartiMichell #LovePatchworkQuilting
  • Be Following these accounts on Instagram:
  • @GnomeAngel
  • @SnipsSnippets
  • @AlisonGlass
  • @AnnaMariaHorner
  • @JenKingwell
  • @AndoverFabrics
  • @FreeSpiritFabrics
  • @MartiMichell
  • @LoveQuiltingMag
Please Note: You do not need to tag these accounts in your images, if you use the hashtag #LongTimeGoneSAL we'll be able to find you! 
You will also need to do the following:
  • Post a photo of each of the blocks in their relevant weeks in your timezone. You can find the block timetable by clicking here
  • Complete the quilt top and post it to Instagram within 12 July and Midnight 21 July in your timezone.
  • All photos will need to have the relevant hashtags on them.
  • You will need to be following all the relevant Instagram accounts at the time of the drawing.
Need help keeping all of that clear in your head, Angie has made up a fabulous Long Time Gone SAL Tracker, you can grab it by clicking here to download.

For more information you can find commonly asked questions and their answers by clicking here.
High fives for an end in sight! Your quilts are going to be so fantastic!!
xo nicole


Comments

  1. Update on these blocks. I have recut and am sewing again (differently) and it is working! Yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Though I just skimmed through this very detailed tutorial, it’s a nice one. It’s very refreshing to look at these brilliant colors. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!
And will usually respond by email, unless you're a no reply blogger. Then pop back here for a response!

Popular Posts