Week 9 | Long Time Gone Sew-along | Log Cabins

Hello, hello! Welcome back for another super easy block this week in the Long Time Gone Sew-along! And this time I kept it easy for myself and my sanity, last week was a touch on the crazy side, haha! Today we are taking on the super simple Log Cabin block!



Super. Duper. Easy. Lets Go!!



Angie and I will be alternating tutorials for the duration of the sew-along and today's block just happens to be hers. So pop on over to catch the tutorial and see her wonderful blocks by clicking here!

General Information

Measurements for the pieces needed to construct this block will not be provided in Angie's tutorial. It is a pre-requiste of making this block that you have a copy of the pattern, Long Time Gone by Jen Kingwell. Measurements, where applicable, can be found in this book and it’s associated media.
If you’re using the Marti Michell Perfect Patchwork Templates you can find the conversion chart by clicking here.
 
I have no hard and fast rule for pressing. I generally press my seams in the direction they want to go. For these blocks I found it easiest to just press my seams open. But find a way that works for you and be consistent with it. Here's a photo of the back of one of my blocks so you can see how I've pressed my seams.
 
 
 I also found it easier to just finger press as I went. Saves a whole lot of time traveling from your machine to your ironing board!
Here's a shot of my pieces coming together and just finger pressed.


Perfectly fine. I actually finger pressed the entire block and then gave it a final press with my iron when it was complete. It's also easier I found to sew your pieces together with the open seams facing up so as not to get pushed improperly when going through your machine, just something to keep in mind.

Another helpful trick is to chain piece. I chain piece whenever I can, it saves so much time!


See how my four starting blocks are all connected, that's chain piecing. Don't snip the threads as you go, just feed in the next pieces to be sewn together. Once you have all your pieces sewn then go and snip them apart, leave one unit on your machine though as a leader, that way you don't have to worry about thread nests happening!

Any chance I get to "assembly line" sew blocks together I take it. So with blocks like these it just made sense to gather all my pieces and lay them out for sewing. 


This way, everything is ready and in order and I can mindlessly zing through the sewing!


I made two each of the same blocks and then wasn't really sure I liked them together. So I've yet to link them all up.


I'm kind of wanting to make two more of the block on the left and just using the other two for something else. There's a good possibility that by the end of this quilt I will have enough blocks that didn't make the cut to make an entirely new quilt! Haha! For now I will ponder on keeping or letting go of the right side block.


This one though has me wanting to make an entire quilt out of this colour palette! So good!

Prize Winning Details

Of course the ultimate prize is making this amazing quilt, but if you'd like to also throw your hat in the ring to win some amazing prizes from our amazing sponsors then here's the information you need to know. You can find out more about our sponsors and the prizes on offer by clicking here.
We've made it as simple as possible for you to win. To be eligible for all prizes on offer all you have to do is:

  • Post a photo of one of this weeks block to your Instagram account between 12:01am May 10th and 11:59pm May 16th 2017 in your timezone
  • Tag your photo with the hashtags #LongTimeGoneSAL #AlisonGlass #AndoverFabrics #SewWithTheBest #AnnaMariaHorner #FreeSpiritFabrics #JenKingwell #LongTimeGoneQuilt #AmitieTexiles #MartiMichell #LovePatchworkQuilting
  • Be Following these accounts on Instagram:
  • @GnomeAngel
  • @SnipsSnippets
  • @AlisonGlass
  • @AnnaMariaHorner
  • @JenKingwell
  • @AndoverFabrics
  • @FreeSpiritFabrics
  • @MartiMichell
  • @LoveQuiltingMag
Please Note: You do not need to tag these accounts in your images, if you use the hashtag #LongTimeGoneSAL we'll be able to find you! 
You will also need to do the following:
  • Post a photo of each of the blocks in their relevant weeks in your timezone. You can find the block timetable by clicking here
  • Complete the quilt top and post it to Instagram within 12 July and Midnight 21 July in your timezone.
  • All photos will need to have the relevant hashtags on them.
  • You will need to be following all the relevant Instagram accounts at the time of the drawing.
Need help keeping all of that clear in your head, Angie has made up a fabulous Long Time Gone SAL Tracker, you can grab it by clicking here to download.

For more information you can find commonly asked questions and their answers by clicking here.
 
That's it, that's all! High fives to all of you still sewing along with us, it's been so much fun and you all are making some amazing blocks! Keep at it!
xo nicole 
 
HST's are up next week, so get ready!

Comments

  1. Such sort of creativity is less found in everyone and if it is found then they don't even try to carry that. but your work is quite good that you are carrying your creativity and enhancing it day by day.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!
And will usually respond by email, unless you're a no reply blogger. Then pop back here for a response!

Popular Posts