Week 12 | Long Time Gone Sew-along | Half Square Triangles - block 3

This is it folks! The last HST block for the Long Time Gone Sew-along! Wahoo!! 


This is another that I made before the rest of the blocks and while I love it I'm not sure how well it works with all the rest of my blocks. For now though it stays, and I'll re-evaluate when they are all finished! So with that shall we get on with the tutorial?! 


General Information
 
Measurements for the pieces needed to construct this block will not be provided in this tutorial. It is a pre-requiste of making this block that you have a copy of the pattern, Long Time Gone by Jen Kingwell. Measurements, where applicable, can be found in this book and it’s associated media.
If you’re using the Marti Michell Perfect Patchwork Templates you can find the conversion chart by clicking here.
Pressing
I have no hard and fast rule for pressing. I generally press my seams in the direction they want to go. For HST's I usually find it easiest to just press my seams open. This way will not work however if you are using an HST trimming ruler like a Bloc Loc ruler. To finish this block I pressed my seams in alternating directions on the rows and then open again when I attached the rows together.  But find a way that works for you and be consistent with it through out your block. Here's a photo of the back of  my block so you can see how I've pressed my seams.
Block Construction
First up, gathering and cutting your fabrics, cutting instructions for this block can be found on page 18 of your instruction book. 

 I always cut my fabrics for HST's larger than what is called for so I can square them up to the perfect size. To do this I just cut my starting squares at the next whole number up.
So here's what you need to do to make an HST block.



Make sure to pay attention to directional prints. And keep a close eye on all your HST's, your can see on the right hand side of the above picture where I rotated two of the HST's. Lucky I spotted it before sewing the block together!


And ta-da!!


One super awesome HST block!! For more tips and tricks with HST's check out this post!.

That's it from me this week, we'll be moving on to the Flying Geese blocks next week and I can't wait! I love love love Flying Geese!
Don't forget to pop over to Angie's by clicking here, to see what amazing block she's sewn up with her unbelievable collection of Alison Glass fabrics! She'll also have some handy tips and tricks to help you out!

 Marti Michell is also offering a conversion chart and tutorial on how to make this block using her templates. See Marti’s tutorial and get the conversion chart by clicking here.

Prize Winning Details

Of course the ultimate prize is making this amazing quilt, but if you'd like to also throw your hat in the ring to win some amazing prizes from our amazing sponsors then here's the information you need to know. You can find out more about our sponsors and the prizes on offer by clicking here.
We've made it as simple as possible for you to win. To be eligible for all prizes on offer all you have to do is:

  • Post a photo of this weeks block to your Instagram account between 12:01am May 31st and 11:59pm June 6th 2017 in your timezone
  • Tag your photo with the hashtags #LongTimeGoneSAL #AlisonGlass #AndoverFabrics #SewWithTheBest #AnnaMariaHorner #FreeSpiritFabrics #JenKingwell #LongTimeGoneQuilt #AmitieTexiles #MartiMichell #LovePatchworkQuilting
  • Be Following these accounts on Instagram:
  • @GnomeAngel
  • @SnipsSnippets
  • @AlisonGlass
  • @AnnaMariaHorner
  • @JenKingwell
  • @AndoverFabrics
  • @FreeSpiritFabrics
  • @MartiMichell
  • @LoveQuiltingMag
Please Note: You do not need to tag these accounts in your images, if you use the hashtag #LongTimeGoneSAL we'll be able to find you! 
You will also need to do the following:
  • Post a photo of each of the blocks in their relevant weeks in your timezone. You can find the block timetable by clicking here
  • Complete the quilt top and post it to Instagram within 12 July and Midnight 21 July in your timezone.
  • All photos will need to have the relevant hashtags on them.
  • You will need to be following all the relevant Instagram accounts at the time of the drawing.
Need help keeping all of that clear in your head, Angie has made up a fabulous Long Time Gone SAL Tracker, you can grab it by clicking here to download.

For more information you can find commonly asked questions and their answers by clicking here.
Hope you all have a fab week sewing up this block and I can't wait to see them all pop up on Instagram!! High fives for everyone! 
     xo nicole

And my apologies for no sneak peak of our next block, things have been a little... chaotic around here! Though from this pic you could never tell!


Comments

Popular Posts