In other news...

I’m afraid my Day Zero list seems to be suffering...I can’t seem to get anything finished. I have lots of things started, and a lot more that need to get started, I just can’t seem to cross them off the list.
My latest projects is number 27. Sam’s quilt. I’ve been building the whole quilt around this pack of Heather Ross remnants...

...that I bought off this great Etsy seller. (Oh, if anyone is looking to get me a kick arse christmas gift...this is what I want!...damn...it sold)

I decided to do a twin size ticker tape quilt thinking that for my first quilt it would be relatively easy. All you do is cut the fabric and put it in it’s spot...kind of like tetris! I love tetris! And I’m quite good at it!

I couldn’t have been more wrong. I obviously know about as much about quilting as I do that mysteriously emptied Almond Joy Pieces bag on the kitchen counter. Which is to say absolutely nothing. Though I did see the dog in there earlier, sniffing about. Yeah...Seven should be questioned about that.

The first problem occurred when I started cutting the fabrics. First off, the Heather Ross fabrics I’m using are no longer in production...which makes them a tad bit on the expensive side. This meant that I spent way to much time trying to figure out where I was going to make my cuts, so as not to bugger any up and regret the cut.
I probably spent about a week just planning and cutting the 26 pieces of HR fabric. (The stash came with more pieces but they were definitely to pink for Sam's quilt...I'll save them for another project.)
I then had to decide where on the quilt to place them. This was agonizing! I wanted to make sure that I had an even spread of colour, size and pattern. After finally placing them, I went in with all my filler fabrics and tried to tetris them into their new homes. Wow...not as easy as it looks.
I’ve now been working on this quilt for over a month and I haven’t even started sewing yet! I keep hoping that the hard part is over but looking at it I think the sewing might kill me.
I start tomorrow, wish me luck!

Comments

  1. I LOVE this finished quilt! It turned out just beautifully! I linked back to this post so I could see it in process - would you mind sharing what you used for the backing and how you attached all of the scraps prior to sewing? Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!... i'm quite pleased with the finished quilt.
    I used two flat sheets for the backing... the one i did the piece work on was a double and the one for the back was a queen. As for attaching the pieces, i pinned them all first while i worked out where they were going to go. Then after a failed attempt at sewing with all those pins i glued each one on using an Elmer's washable glue stick and started sewing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!
And will usually respond by email, unless you're a no reply blogger. Then pop back here for a response!

Popular Posts