Rejection, friendship and cover stars.

BLAM!! Secret squirrel sewing revealed!

love patchwork and quilting magazine


Okay, so for those that follow me on Instagram this isn't new, I did show it about a month and a half ago. But I just recently got it back from Love Patchwork and Quilting and was able to take it on our annual beach vacation for some glamour shots :)

love patchwork and quilting magazine

This quilt was created from the... I don't want to say rejection of another, but essentially it was.
And I've never been more happy with a rejection in all my life. Now that is, then... not so much ;)

Last February I pitched an idea to Love Patchwork and Quilting thinking it was a pretty good idea and I was excited about it. This was the first idea I had pitched since my Carousel quilt had been published and I was nervous, really nervous.


(I know you're all impressed with my fancy, high tech sketch, I roll old school around here!)
Anyway, I made up a couple of blocks for the quilt I was calling Allsorts and emailed Jen at LP&Q with my idea. 


She was quick to get back, but not with the news that I wanted to hear. I'm going to be honest here folks, I was crushed. It would seem, that she was at that moment waiting to receive another quilt based on the same idea. Turns out it was my gal Angie from Sewvivor that quilt jacked my brain and stole my idea ;) It's amazing how you can totally think you're coming up with a great one of a kind idea only to find out you're not quite as original as you thought. Though I'm pretty sure that Angie and I are quilty soul sisters, this isn't the first time we've come up with the same ideas!

Little did I know that not making this quilt would lead to one of the most amazing quilt related events of my life to date.

love patchwork and quilting magazine
Eep!! That's my quilt! On the cover of Love Patchwork and Quilting!! I never in a million years thought that I could accomplish something like this. It has been a dream come true for me. I still find it hard to believe that something I've made could be in a magazine, let alone on the cover!

And I can say with certainty that this quilt would not have happened without my sweet friend Gina. She's always been my go-to gal for sounding projects off of and I would be lost without her help and support. So when LP&Q turned down Allsorts I was hesitant to pitch another idea. But i put on my big girl panties, put together my idea and fabrics and pitched the idea to Gina first. And it was her that told me I had to pitch to them, I'd be crazy not to. So I did. And much to my delight they loved it!

love patchwork and quilting magazine

It all started out with one of my all time favourite colour palettes, some of the best prints in my collection and what I'm pretty sure is my absolute favourite Carolyn Friedlander print ever. I make a lot of colour palette stacks. I'm constantly pulling stacks and never making anything with them. But this one, this one was begging to be made into something!

Or somethings...

love patchwork and quilting magazine

Because one can never have enough matching pillows right?! And bonus, the HST pillow was made entirely from off-cuts from the quilt!

love patchwork and quilting magazine

I quilted both pillows and the quilt in Aurifil #2600 Dove Grey, surprising right? No brass. I wanted the quilting to just fade away, give some nice texture and not be noticed.

love patchwork and quilting magazine

I think I succeeded on that. Subtle, but there when you look. 

love patchwork and quilting magazine
photo courtesy of Love Patchwork and Quilting magazine

Even on the back the quilting just blends right in.


love patchwork and quilting magazine

You'd never know that I've actually quilted circles on this one! It's mostly straight lines, but the black Carolyn Friedlander crosshatch print I used on the back hides it all quite well.

love patchwork and quilting magazine

I used the same black crosshatch for the binding, with the exception of a little piece of Tula Pinks hex box print that I couldn't resist adding to finish one of the stars.

love patchwork and quilting magazine
I think it's a nice little pop of colour! And I absolutely love that Tula print!

love patchwork and quilting magazine
photo courtesy of Love Patchwork and Quilting magazine

I didn't have time for a proper photo shoot before i mailed it off and wasn't sure when it would be making it's way back to me so Alice at LP&Q sent me a couple of shots from the mag. They sure do know how to make things look good!

love patchwork and quilting magazine
photo courtesy of Love Patchwork and Quilting magazine

I'm running out of things to say about this quilt and I still have pictures I want to share!

love patchwork and quilting magazine

How about a shot with Batman?! Everyone needs at least one quilt shot with Batman :) Am I right?!
Okay, okay I'll finish up here.

Quilt details
Pattern - Twinkle Twinkle by me!
Finished Size - 54" x 72"
Star fabrics - Too many to name but mostly Lizzy House, Tula Pink and Cotton and Steel
Background, backing and binding fabrics - Carolyn Friedlander
Pieced and quilted entirely with Aurifil #2600 Dove Grey.

love patchwork and quilting magazine

Now I'm going to get crazy and link up with Finish it up Friday over at crazy mom quilts because it's been way too long!
And if you're local and want to make this quilt, I'll be teaching it at my LQS this November. Just click on the picture of it in my sidebar :)

High fives for a quilty finish I can finally share!
xo nicole

And now maybe a few vacation pics...


Yeah, it was pretty chilly, not that it stopped the boys from going out in the dingy!



Comments

  1. It's awesome! Great story about it. And I'm sure I'm not the only person who would say it's totally ok to
    Show tons of pictures of your quilt. So if you have more, bring it on :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, loved the quilt and congratulations on making it to the COVER!!! :D Cover girl! I actually really loved the original design as well. Did you ever do anything with those blocks? I love the kind of retro vibe they have. :)
    Gorgeous work, and I'm with jeifner, share away! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty quilt and those cushions are great too! I love that finished star in binding! Plus you have the cutest boys ever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! It really shows that simple can be awesome, especially when using fantastic fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who doesn't love glamor shots of quilts! Congratulations on your cover.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this quilt so much!!! The colors, fabrics, and design all work together so well and course the way you assemble the blocks is genius!!!! I saw this issue at JoAnn's last week and had to tell the check out girl that my friend made the cover quilt! I am so proud of you and am so lucky to be in your quilting circle!!! The magazine did a great job with their photo shoot but I really love your beach glamour shots too!!!! I am sure this is just the first of what will be many cover quilts for you!!!!! Great job Cole!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dude! If I had to lose Sewvivor I'm glad it was to you, so I only think it fair that you lost out on the Allsorts to me. ;) I adore this quilt and I was SO jazzed when I saw you nailed the cover too. I think of you so much and I'm so slack in following that up - I'm sorry. I wish we lived closer so we could just hang out and plan world domination. You're my quilty idol. <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's amazing! And I love the color palette!! And the whole story, and you and your cute boys! You are amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay congratulations on another publish. And the cover shot so exciting! Looks like great fun at the beach too!.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is awesome, Nicole!! Definitely a case of when one door closes another one opens. The quilt and pillows are really cool, I especially love how you used the left over HST! And I love the picture of you and your boys!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on your cover quilt. It's awesome!! Hope you made time for a little celebration of this wonderful accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it Nicole! And I'm dying over the HST pillow!!! I have a serious addition to those :) And congrats again on the cover...still hoping to one day be the cover feature quilt myself.
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  13. I guess a little rejection is good for the creativity... how many times was Harry Potter rejected by publishers? I love every thing about your cover girl quilt. The colour palette is awesome. The low volume? Yum! And the blocks look like they're not so complex as to reduce me to tears... Carousel was beyond me! Have I gushed enough? Must go... off to download this issue of Love Patchwork and Quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats on you magazine features. I love the spin quilt. I picked up this one in time. It is one the coffee table. Yay! Your photo shoot with you little ones is so adorable! Can't wait to see your mini series.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations! It looks great. I love the pop of coulour in the binding, too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!
And will usually respond by email, unless you're a no reply blogger. Then pop back here for a response!

Popular Posts